Friday 7 July 2017

New Segment & #ff!

Self-Care Q&A w/ Courtney from Unfiltered Mama

Welcome to the “Self-Care Q &A” and also the day that I am dedicating to contributions from the friends I make on Twitter! I (Anxiously Me) made up some questions about self-care and decided to ask some of my friends their thoughts on said topic.  To kick things off, here is the Q &A I did with my new friend Courtney (Unfiltered Mama)! She is also my recommendation for #ff & you can find all of her links below.

1. How do you know when you are in need of some self-care?

C. I can feel my anxieties coming on, as well as all of my depressing thoughts. They don't usually just hit me out of nowhere like they would when I was younger. I start segregating myself from the outside world and keep all conversations short. So when I start feeling down in the dumps, I make it my job to get myself out as soon as possible.

2. Once you are aware that you need to take care of yourself, do you usually do so alone or do you have someone you can go to when you need some TLC?

 I prefer to be alone. I mean, I love the cuddles and everything in between. But I like to save that for when I'm at the peak of feeling better. When the anxiety and depression first hits, it's important for me to deal with it on my own. The quiet time, when I find it, helps me deal with whatever is at hand during that moment.

3. Do you find it hard to make time for yourself?

I'm a stay at home mom so I don't really get that "me" time that I need. It's my own fault for not working harder to get it. My daughter is 17m old and my anxieties are so bad that I have not left her side yet. I can't and won't do it. To top it off, I'm currently pregnant so if I really want that time to myself.. I have to calm myself and just do it.

4. Is there anything that gets in the way of your “me” time/disrupts it (for me: noises outside can put me on edge or if other people are home I need to be mindful of how long I take, say, in the shower)?

I can't really put the blame on my daughter for disrupting whatever I consider "me" time right now. But when I'm writing, I have to do it when I know no one will interrupt. If something else grabs my attention, I lose focus and instantly get writers block. In a matter of seconds I'll lose all of these wonderful things I had to say and start searching for the motivation to start again.

5. Do you ever feel guilty for having “me” time?

As I said earlier, I've never actually taken the time to be by myself. But if I'm brave enough to write while my daughter is awake, then yes. It's hard to stop and go and keep repeating that when she wants my attention. That's why I save it for when she naps.

6. Do you schedule in “me” time or do you “go with the flow”/only take “me” time when you feel you need it?

When I have my off days I know I'll need some recovery. So I take it as it goes. Some days I just snap out of whatever mood I'm in. But it takes a lot of work, most of the time, to dig myself out of the hole I created myself.

7. Is there a self-care routine that you try to follow?

I consider my writing, my blog, a self-care method. So you could say it's "scheduled." I used to post every day but then I started feeling like I was overwhelming my readers with my personal story. Since then I've created a more scheduled-like week for my blogs and so far it's been going well.

8. When you feel down/not like your usual self; what do you do to cheer yourself up (hobbies, being with loved ones etc)?

Being around my daughter is always something that works instantly. But other than stating the obvious, I like to clean while listening to music. I dance around and sing like a lunatic, but it always picks me up high enough to feel better for the day. Writing, of course, has always been my outlet. That's always my first go-to.

9. Do you have any mantras that you say to yourself as a pick me up or on a daily basis?

Nothing specific but I do like reading motivational quotes and passing them on to others. They help me feel empowered and if I know someone else who's having an off day, I want them to feel that "I can survive this" feeling I get every so often.

10. Finally; do you have any self-care tips for anyone who might be reading this?

There is nothing wrong or selfish with putting yourself first. Take the time you need and run with it! Your mind, body, and soul deserve the self-care you're seeking. It is so important to be aware of your mental health. I, for one, am not ashamed to put my feelings out there and let everyone know when I'm having a rough day. But doing so helps me feel better. So do what you need to get yourself to that point. Make today the day you strive to be a better you. And as always, let me know how it works out for you!


If you want to follow Courtney, you can find her on Twitter at @_UnfilteredMama and her blog is here. She would love to hear from you!

If you decide to use this, please let me know first and give credit. There’s nothing worse than finding out something that you worked really hard on has been taken and uncredited, sometimes even plagiarised. 

See you all on Monday for another new post!

Anxiously,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think about this post?

Get To Know Me Part 2

Hi everyone! Here is part 2 of the "Get To Know Me" post that I did last Friday to celebrate one year of being with Blogger. If ...

Anxiously, Me